The Marquette Building, completed in 1895, is a Chicago landmark that was built by the George A. Fuller Company and designed by architects Holabird & Roche. The building is currently owned by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. It is located in the community area known as the "Loop" in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The building was one of the early steel frame skyscrapers of its day, and is considered one of the best examples of the Chicago School of architecture. The building originally had a reddish, terra cotta exterior that is now somewhat blackened due to decades of Loop soot. It is noted both for its then cutting edge frame and its ornate interior. Since being built, the building has received numerous awards and honors. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on June 9, 1975, and it is considered an architectural masterpiece. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 17, 1973. It was a named a National Historic Landmark on January 7, 1976. The building's preservation has been a major focus of the Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois. The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation completed an extensive four-year restoration in 2006.